Peer Support Specialist - SPA 7 Outreach
Long Beach, CA 90802
$17.31/hr - $21.04/hr DOE
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) is currently seeking candidates holding their peer support certification to join our Street Outreach Program serving SPA 7 of LA County as a Peer Support Specialist. This position works primarily in the field to provide services throughout the SPA, but is based out of our location in Long Beach. Due to its nature, candidates with lived experience in homelessness, mental health or substance use challenges are strongly encouraged to apply and will be given preference for this role.
In addition to a rewarding work environment, we offer our employees a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, vacation and sick time, paid holidays, and a retirement plan.
WHAT WE DO
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
Our Street Outreach programs work to engage individuals who are currently homeless and living on the streets in an effort to provide and link them with services that will ultimately lead them to stabilize in housing long-term.
WHAT IS A PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST?
As part of the Street Outreach Team, Peer Support Specialists leverage their first-hand experience to develop positive relationships with clients and provide on-going support that assists them with obtaining and maintaining sustainable housing. Responsibilities of the Peer Support Specialist include:
WHAT YOU BRING
- Collaborating with the team and clients to develop Individualized Treatment Plans (ISP's) that identify clear objectives related to stabilizing in housing
- Providing case management and supportive services such as assisting with housing location, temporary financial assistance, and assistance with benefit applications and accessing health services
- Providing crisis intervention services to the homeless community
- Monitoring client progression through their ISP
- Assisting clients with obtaining documentation necessary to obtain housing
- Promoting and following the program established values, guidelines and rules
We’re looking for candidates that:
- Have lived experience with homelessness, mental health, or substance use challenges
- Have experience providing direct services to vulnerable individuals
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals with urgent and multiple case management and health needs
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature judgement, and are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Are excellent at communicating, whether in writing or verbally
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
For this role the Peer Support Specialist must:
READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH ACTION?
- Be a certified Peer Support Specialist
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver’s license
- Auto Insurance
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test
If this sounds like you, please visit our PATH Career Site
and search for Job #2066
to submit your application. A resume is required.
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.