Peer Support Specialist
San Jose, CA 95112
$21/hr - $22/hr DOE + 12% Locality Pay Differential (Approximate gross earnings of $23.52/hr - $24.64/hr)
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) is seeking candidates passionate about making a positive impact in the San Jose community to join our team as Peer Support Specialist. This part-time position is part of Santa Clara County’s COVID-19 and will conduct community outreach to provide information, education, and linkage to vaccination opportunities to people experiencing homelessness in the community. Due to its nature, this position encourages and welcomes applicants with lived experience with homelessness and related issues.
In addition to a rewarding work environment, we offer our employees a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, vacation and sick time, paid holidays, and a retirement plan.
WHAT WE DO
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
Our Street Outreach programs work to engage individuals who are currently homeless and living on the streets in an effort to provide and link them with services that will ultimately lead them to stabilize in housing long-term.
WHAT IS A PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST?
As part of the street outreach team, the Peer Support Specialist works to engage with individuals experiencing homeless wherever they currently are residing to share information that assists them with making informed decisions regarding COVID-19 vaccination once it is available to them. Responsibilities of the Peer Support Specialist include:
WHAT YOU BRING
- Conducting daily street outreach to develop relationships and build rapport in a variety of settings including, but not limited to, shelters, encampments, and other outdoor spaces
- Providing COVID-19 vaccine education and information including through distribution of guides and flyers
- Providing information, referrals, linkages, and advocacy for other identified needs that pertain to COVID-19 vaccinations
- Gathering client data on likeliness to receive the vaccine
- Submitting regular reports on client data
We’re looking for candidates that:
- Have lived experience with homelessness, mental health, or substance use issues
- Maintain and execute confidential information according to HIPAA standards
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals with urgent and multiple case management and health needs
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature judgement, and are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Are excellent at communicating, whether in writing or verbally
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
For this role the Peer Support Specialist must:
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver’s license
- Proof of insurance and ownership for personal vehicles used during work duties
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test
PATH will require all employees to be fully vaccinated
for COVID-19. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination as part of the pre-employment credentialing process.
READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH ACTION?
If this sounds like you, please visit our PATH Careers Site
and search for JR# 2060
to submit your application. A resume is required.
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.