Peer Support Specialist – Veteran’s Interim Housing
Los Angeles, CA 90065
Starting at $15.39/hr DOE
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) is seeking individuals motivated by helping others improve the quality of their lives to join our Veteran’s Interim Housing site in West Los Angeles as a Peer Support Specialist. Individuals with Veteran Status are strongly encouraged to apply!
In addition to a rewarding work environment, we offer our employees a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, vacation and sick time, paid holidays, and a retirement plan.
WHAT WE DO
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
Our Interim Housing programs provide low-barrier, high-tolerance settings for program participants, referred to as guests, who are experiencing homelessness and have a variety of complex health, functional and social needs. These home-like environments are coupled with support and case management services to assist them with developing a plan to break the cycle of homelessness, stabilize in housing and reintegrate into the community. Our interim housing site in WLA specifically serves Veterans who are experiencing homelessness.
WHAT IS A PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST?
As part of the interim housing team, the Peer Support Specialist provides support, mentorship, and guidance to chronically homeless Veterans to assist them with their transition into housing and their journey to housing stability. Responsibilities of the Peer Support Specialist include:
WHAT YOU BRING
- Teaching and modeling the value of the individual recovery experience as well as the value of guests’ military experience
- Assisting with identifying and exploring appropriate housing and employment opportunities
- Assisting guests with accessing necessary health and community based services that contribute overall personal wellness and housing stability
- Providing information and referrals to services and community resources that address needs
- Meeting with guests on a regular basis to assist with developing empowerment, coping, social, and self-advocacy skills
We’re looking for candidates that:
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of the basic principles of social services and psychiatry
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals with urgent and multiple case management and health needs
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature judgement, and are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Are excellent at communicating, whether in writing or verbally
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
Due the nature of this position, preference will be given to candidates that:
- Have lived experience dealing with issues related to homelessness, mental health, and substance use challenges
- Have Veteran status
For this role the Peer Support Specialist must:
- Demonstrate strong understanding of the recovery process and crisis-orientated counseling and how individuals’ experience and qualities influence that process
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver’s license
- Proof of insurance and ownership for personal vehicles used during work duties
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test
PATH will require all employees to be fully vaccinated
for COVID-19. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination as part of the pre-employment credentialing process.
READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH ACTION?
If this sounds like you, please visit our PATH Careers Site
and search for JR# 1939
to submit your application. A resume is required.
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.