Substance Use Specialist – South County Outreach
Long Beach, CA 90805
$20.20/hr - $25.99/hr DOE
PATH (People Assisting The Homelessness) is seeking candidates with experience providing substance use counseling to join our South County Programs as a Substance Use Specialist. This position will be based out of our location in north Long Beach and will provide services in 28 cities across Southern LA County.
In addition to a rewarding work environment, we offer our employees a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, vacation and sick time, paid holidays and a retirement plan.
WHAT WE DO
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
Our Street Outreach programs work to engage individuals who are currently homeless and living on the streets in an effort to provide and link them with services that will ultimately lead them to stabilize in housing long-term.
WHAT IS A SUBSTANCE USE SPECIALIST?
As part of a multidisciplinary Street Based Engagement, the Substance Use Specialist provides mobile support to individuals experiencing homelessness and substance use. Responsibilities of the Substance Use Specialist include:
WHAT YOU BRING
- Maintaining appropriate knowledge on engagement techniques, interventions, treatment modalities, and substance use related community resources
- Participating in daily street outreach and providing field-based case management services
- Providing strengths-based case management and service coordination services to assist clients in obtaining and maintaining stable housing
- Collaborating with clients to develop individualized treatment plans that address short- and long-term goals
- Providing on-going case management support to assess progress and ensure treatment plan outcomes are met or adjusted as necessary
We’re looking for candidates that:
- Maintain and execute confidential information according to HIPAA standards
- Demonstrate knowledge or experience with evidence-based case management techniques including critical time intervention, harm reduction strategies, crisis intervention techniques and motivational interviewing
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals with urgent and multiple case management and health needs
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature judgement, and are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Are excellent at communicating, whether in writing or verbally
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
For this role the Substance Use Specialist must:
READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH ACTION?
- Have proven experience providing services to individuals experiencing substance use including:
- A Bachelor’s Degree with at least two years of experience providing substance use case management services in a non-profit, for profit, government, or public service environment
- Harm Reduction and/or SUD specialists with a Bachelor’s level education
- An Associate’s degree with SUD credentialing
- Individuals with lived experience and SUD credentialing
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver’s license
- Auto Insurance
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test
If this sounds like you, please visit our PATH Careers Site
and search for JR# 1932
to submit your application. A resume is required.
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.