Community Affairs Associate
San Jose, CA 95112
$21.46/hr - $23.61/hr DOE + 12% Locality Pay Differential (Approximate gross earnings of $24.04/hr - $25.49/hr DOE)
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) is seeking candidates that share our passion for our mission to end homelessness to join our programs in San Jose as a Community Affairs Associate.
In addition to a rewarding work environment, we offer our employees a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, vacation and sick time, paid holidays, and a retirement plan.
WHAT WE DO
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
Community engagement is essential to PATH’s mission to end homelessness. It is crucial that we build relationships with our neighbors to gain buy-in and will for supportive housing development and the other services we provide. To achieve this, we are committed to building trust and support of the community through education and engagement with the everyday activities of our work on the ground.
WHAT IS A COMMUNITY AFFAIRS ASSOCIATE?
The Community Affairs Associate works in collaboration with the San Jose team to create and refine community-informed polices and services for our activities in the Silicon Valley. The Community Affairs Associate builds relationships throughout the community to gather feedback, share insights, and advocate for polices that improve our programs in the region. Responsibilities of the Community Affairs Associate include:
WHAT YOU BRING
- Leading PATH’s engagement with the unhoused population, homeless advocates, Destination: Home’s Lived Experience Advisory Board, and the community at large
- Organizing and facilitating community meetings and dinners to gather feedback on ways to improve services
- Conducting surveys to gain insight on how the community will be affected by new aspects of services or programs
- Co-leading workshops and seminars throughout the region to help educate the pubic about homelessness and PATH’s work
- Producing quarterly reports on PATH’s engagement efforts for presentation
- Coordinating with other PATH teams to implement changes based on feedback
- Supporting PATH San Jose’s Leadership with community engagement activities such as managing volunteers and fielding concerns
We’re looking for candidates that:
- Have experience in community outreach or homeless services
- Demonstrate proficiency Microsoft Office suite
- Display excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build positive rapport and collaborative relationships with a diverse range of individuals
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature, professional judgement
- Effectively collect and analyze information, draw accurate conclusions, and develop creative solutions accordingly
- Are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
This position welcomes a variety of backgrounds with proven experience working with unhoused populations. The following professional experience, education and background is preferred:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Two (2) years of experience in a related field working with people experiencing homelessness
- Lived experience of homelessness and passion about PATH’s mission to end homelessness and bring everyone back home
For this role the Community Affairs Associate must:
READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH ACTION?
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver’s license
- Proof of insurance and ownership for personal vehicles used during work duties
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test
If this sounds like you, please visit our PATH Careers Site
and search for JR# 1870
to submit your application. A resume is required.
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.