Substance Abuse Specialist - Night Shift
Los Angeles, CA 90004
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) is seeking candidates experience in street outreach with highly vulnerable populations, to join our street outreach team in the Metro LA Outreach Programs as a Substance Abuse Specialist. This position is for the overnight shift with an anticipated schedule of 11:00 pm to 7:30 am five days a week.
In addition to a rewarding work environment, we offer our employees a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, vacation and sick time, paid holidays, and a retirement plan.
WHAT WE DO
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
PATH’s Street Outreach programs work to engage individuals who are currently homeless and living on the streets in an effort to provide and link them with services that will ultimately lead them to stabilize in housing long-term.
WHAT IS A SUBSTANCE ABUSE SPECIALIST?
The Substance Abuse Specialist works as part of the multidisciplinary street-based team to provide field-based services including assessments, service referrals, and follow up to those experiencing homelessness. Responsibilities of the Substance Abuse Specialist include:
WHAT YOU BRING
- Conducting daily street outreach to develop relationships and build rapport with clients
- Assessing and providing needed substance use treatment referrals and crisis intervention
- Providing on-going case management services that connect clients to long-term supportive services
- Meeting with established clients on a weekly basis to review, evaluate and support individual service plan goals
- Collaborating with community substance use and mental health providers to ensure seamless referral services
- Maintaining documentation standards as set forth by program contract and PATH policies
We’re looking for candidates that:
- Demonstrate knowledge of and experience with evidence-based interventions including, nonviolent crisis intervention, harm reduction and motivational interviewing strategies, the housing first model, and case management techniques effective with vulnerable populations
- Maintain and execute confidential information according to HIPAA standards
- Demonstrate proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals with urgent and multiple case management and health needs
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature judgement, and are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Are excellent at communicating, whether in writing or verbally
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
For this role the Substance Abuse Specialist must:
READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH ACTION?
If this sounds like you, please visit our PATH Careers Site at www.epath.org/careers and search for JR# 1822 to submit your application. A resume is required.
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field OR have at least 2 years of relevant experience
- Have experience working in the substance abuse field
- Have the ability to work 11:00 pm – 7:30 am
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver’s license
- Auto Insurance
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test