Peer Support Specialist - Coordinated Street Outreach
San Diego, CA 92101
$18.26 - $20.19/hr
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) is currently seeking candidates passionate about making a positive impact on the lives of others to join our Coordinated Street Outreach Program serving San Diego as a Peer Support Specialist. Candidates with lived experience in homelessness, mental health or substance use challenges are strongly encouraged to apply.
In addition to a rewarding work environment, we offer our employees a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, vacation and sick time, paid holidays, and a retirement plan.
WHAT WE DO
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
The Coordinated Street Outreach program is part of the City of San Diego’s Community Action Plan on Homelessness, which identifies client-centered, housing-focused outreach as a key component of an integrated homelessness response system. The Program works actively engage households who are experiencing homelessness to assist them with breaking the cycle of homelessness by connecting them with supportive services and permanent housing.
WHAT IS A PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST?
As part of the Coordinated Street Outreach Team, Peer Support Specialists leverage their first-hand experience to develop positive relationships with clients and provide on-going support that assists them with obtaining and maintaining sustainable housing.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Collaborating with the team and clients to develop Housing Stabilization Plans (HSP) that identify clear objectives related to stabilizing in housing
- Providing case management such as assisting with housing location, temporary financial assistance, and assistance with benefit applciations and accessing health services
- Providing crisis intervention services to the homeless community
- Monitoring client progression through their HSP
- Assisting clients with obtaining documentation necessary to obtain housing
- Promoting and following the program established values, guidelines and rules
We’re looking for candidates that:
- Have lived experience with homelessness, mental health, or substance use challenges; Peer Support Certification is preferred
- Have experience providing direct services to vulnerable individuals
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals with urgent and multiple case management and health needs
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature judgement, and are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Are excellent at communicating, whether in writing or verbally
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
For this role the Peer Support Specialist must:
READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH ACTION?
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver’s license
- Auto Insurance
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test
If this sounds like you, please visit our PATH Career Site
and search for Job #1778
to submit your application. A resume is required.
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.