Peer Support Specialist I – VASH
Los Angeles, CA 90004
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) is eagerly seeking certified Peer Support Specialists to join our Metro LA VASH department.
We offer our employees a rewarding work environment and a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, vacation and sick time, paid holidays and retirement plan.
WHAT WE DO
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
Our Veteran Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) Program works to promote housing stability among very low-income Veteran individuals or families who are experiencing or at imminent risk of homelessness.
WHAT IS A PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST?
The Peer Support Specialist plays an integral role of our VASH programs. As an experienced social worker, the Peer Support Specialist provides guidance, linkage, and supportive services to Veterans who are experiencing homelessness. Responsibilities of the Peer Support Specialist include:
WHAT YOU BRING
- Providing field-based services including, but not limited to:
- Resource linkage
- Assistance with obtaining documentation
- Initial assessments
- Community integration
- Assistance with benefits establishment
- Linkage to community providers for substance abuse and primary and mental healthcare
- Providing strengths-based service coordination focused on assisting clients with obtaining and maintaining stable housing
- Developing and establishing positive rapport with clients to assist them with their long- and short-term goals
- Providing on-going support to assess progress and ensure goals are met or adjusted as necessary
- Providing crisis intervention services focused on enhancing the client’s ability to independently problem solve, utilize effective coping skills and manage and coordinate own care
- Completing and maintaining documentation according to PATH and contractual standards
We’re looking for candidates that:
- Maintain and execute confidential information according to HIPAA standards
- Demonstrate knowledge or experienced with outreach techniques including critical time intervention, harm reduction strategies, crisis intervention techniques and motivational interviewing
- Have HMIS experienced (preferred)
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals with urgent and multiple case management and health needs
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature judgement, and are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Are excellent at communicating, whether in writing or verbally
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
For this role the Peer Support Specialist must:
READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH ACTION?
- Be a certified Peer Specialist – Veterans Peer Specialist preferred
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver’s license
- Auto Insurance
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test
If this sounds like you, please visit our PATH Careers Site
and search for JR# 1614
to submit your application. A resume is required.
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.