San Jose, CA 95125
Starting at $21.15/hr and increasing with experience
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) is urgently seeking candidates with proven experience working with individuals struggling with substance use issues within a Harm Reduction framework to join our EIH program in San Jose as a Harm Reduction Specialist.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a rapidly growing organization that’s making a positive impact throughout California! We offer a competitive benefits package and a 7% locality pay bonus to our San Jose employees.
WHAT WE DO
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
San Jose’s Emergency Interim Housing (EIH) program provides bridge housing to families who are experiencing homelessness and offers a range of onsite supportive services. These services assist each household in transitioning into a safe, stable and permanent home.
WHAT IS A HARM REDUCTION SPECIALIST?
The Harm Reduction Specialist works under the supervision of the Program Manager as part of a multidisciplinary team at the EIH site and utilize the harm reduction model to identify positive interventions to improve program participants’ quality of life. Responsibilities of the Harm Reduction Specialist Include:
WHAT YOU BRING
- Performing initial substance use assessments and developing treatment plans that address all client needs including case management services, substance use treatment, mental health services and community services
- Providing on-going case management support to assess progress in treatment plans and make changes as necessary
- Meeting with participants at a minimum of twice monthly to provide therapeutic supportive case management services
- Providing crisis intervention services focused in enhancing client independence
- Providing intentional case management supports that move the client from a high intensity level of service to a more independent, recovery focused level
- Executing and maintaining documentation according to PATH policies and programmatic obligations
We’re looking for candidates that:
- Have a background with proven experience working within a Harm Reduction framework including:
- A Bachelor’s Degree with at least two years of experience providing substance use case management services in a non-profit, for profit, government, or public service environment
- Harm Reduction and/or SUD specialists with a Bachelor’s level education
- An Associate’s degree with SUD credentialing
- Individuals with lived experience with SUD credentialing
- Have homeless services, case management, mental health, and interim housing experience
- Maintain and execute confidential information according to HIPAA Standards
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals with urgent and multiple case management and health needs
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature judgement, and are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Are excellent at communicating, whether in writing or verbally
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
For this role the Harm Reduction Specialist must:
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver’s license
- Auto Insurance
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test