Mental Health Specialist
Long Beach, CA 90805
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) is urgently seeking master’s level candidates to join our South County Street Outreach Programs as a Mental Health Specialist.
We currently offer fully paid benefits and room to grow your career in social services – there’s nothing we like more than promoting from within!
WHAT WE DO
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
Our Street Outreach programs work to engage individuals who are currently homeless and living on the streets in an effort to provide and link them with services that will ultimately lead them to stabilize in housing long-term.
WHAT IS A MENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST?
Mental Health Specialists participate in daily street outreach as part of a multidisciplinary street-based engagement team. In addition to directly providing mental health services to clients in the field, Mental Health Specialists utilize their expertise and experience to provide guidance and consultation related to direct client care. Responsibilities of the Mental Health Specialist include:
WHAT YOU BRING
- Developing relationships and rapport with clients to assist them in find a way home
- Providing field-based mental health interventions and conducting assessments
- Providing any additional case management support necessary to support the client stabilizing in housing such as assisting with gathering documentation, increasing income, health and mental health care coordination, employment assistance, and housing referrals and application assistance
- Collaborating with community providers and local government agencies to ensure seamless referral services to housing and care
We’re looking for candidates that:
- Demonstrate knowledge of and experience with advanced and evidence-based interventions such as Harm Reduction, Motivational Interviewing, Critical Time Intervention, and Housing First practices
- Display engagement and rapport building skills with hard to reach clients
- Have experience assisting people applying for SSI and SSDI (SOAR or BEST certification preferred)
- Maintain and execute confidential information according to HIPAA standards
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals with urgent and multiple case management and health needs
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature judgement, and are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Are excellent at communicating, whether in writing or verbally
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
- Are technology proficient, especially with MS Office Suite
For this role the Mental Health Specialist must:
READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH ACTION?
- Hold a Master’s Degree in Social Work or related field
- Have the flexibility to work hours a schedule that includes evening or weekend evening hours as necessary
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver’s license
- Auto Insurance
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test
If this sounds like you, please visit our PATH Career Site
and search for Job #1212
to submit your application. A resume is required.
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.