JOB ID: 1480
What is a Cook?
The Lead Cook position is critical to the success of PATH Interim Housing, The Lead Cook ensures that kitchen staff create a welcoming, homelike environment and nutritious meals for our guests. This position will work alongside and supervise a team of kitchen staff and collaborate with case management staff to ensure that all PATH Interim Housing guests receive three meals each day and snacks/refreshments throughout the day as needed. The lead cook’s responsibilities include administrative, supervisory, and quality control oversight of a team of kitchen staff as well as coordination of client’s dietary menu plans. The cook must abide by and ensure that all staff abide by all health and safety regulations and have a current food handler’s certificate.
PATH is a $50M+ non-profit provider of shelter and supportive services for the homeless with locations throughout Southern California, Santa Barbara, and San Jose, primarily serving veterans, families, and the chronically homeless. Funding comes from government agencies, foundations, and individuals, and we currently have over 100 grants from over 30 funders. PATH Ventures (PV) is a non-profit developer of permanent supportive housing with projects located throughout Southern California. PV possesses an ownership interest via limited partnerships in over a dozen residential communities plus several projects in active predevelopment.
Make a Difference through Action
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Provide all guests with a home-like environment for the duration of their stay in PATH Interim Housing
- Participate in staff meetings and assigned trainings
- Promote and follow interim housing established values, guidelines and rules
- Coordinate schedule of all kitchen staff including volunteers
- Monitor spending of food and supplies
- Provide direct supervision to kitchen staff
- Plan and schedule on-going assignments
- Set and adjust work to be accomplished by staff; and prepare schedules for work completion
- Provide staff with regular and appropriate feedback including training, opportunities for professional growth, verbal and written improvement plans when needed, and regular evaluations.
- Create and post weekly and monthly menus
- Coordinate food donations and food bank pick ups
- Ensure that breakfast, lunch and dinner are able to be prepared for guests
- Ensure all staff comply with standard food handling and sanitation procedures
- Ensure all staff adhere to proper knife handling procedures
- Set the standard for maintaining kitchen sanitation and cleanliness, including washing dishes and maintaining the cleanliness of all kitchen equipment (stove, storage area, freezer, floors, etc)
- Order kitchen supplies as needed
- Ensure all food is properly stored and cooked to the correct temperatures.
- Maintain monthly inventory of food supply and equipment
- Supervise all kitchen activities ensuring that only authorized personnel access the kitchen
- Other duties as assigned
- Assist all volunteers by providing all necessary supports to ensure that they have a valuable experience
- Ensure that guests meals are served at the established times and support other kitchen staff as required
- Cook large quantities of food with staggered cooking, heating, baking, etc.
- Prepare food and beverages according to standardized recipes, production sheets and menus
- Organize duties so that foods are prepared for service at appropriate times and within acceptable temperature ranges
- Follow therapeutic menu sheets and meal forms
- Set up and serve on tray line
- Set up portable steam table and serve in dining room
- Operate all electric, gas and steam equipment properly
- Maintain equipment in proper sanitary and operating condition
- Adhere to work/time schedules
- Receive/verify and put stock away
- Follow proper cleaning procedures as per schedules
- Maintain sanitary conditions during all food preparation and delivery by following correct infection control procedures and by thoroughly cleaning work areas and equipment in the department including walls and floors
- Oversee meal preparation in absence of Chef and Lead Cook.
- Request, store, label, rotate, and dispose of all food and supply items, perishable and non- perishable
- Prepare and serve meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance
- Answer phone and deliver any specific meal request to units
- Assist as needed with picking up/dropping off food donations and meals to multiple sites utilizing PATH company vehicle
What You Bring
- Maintain and execute confidential information according to HIPAA standards
- Flexible work schedule to include some evenings and/or weekends as needed
- Possesses a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals who present for services with urgent multiple case management and health needs
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment and exercise mature judgment
- Highly motivated self- starter with the ability to coordinate multiple projects/ tasks simultaneously in a high-pressure environment
- Employment eligibility verification
- Valid driver’s license and auto insurance
- Reliable transportation
- Tuberculosis test
- Successful completion of background screening & drug test
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Food handling certificate
- Driving is an essential function of this position
- Must have Valid CA Driver's License
- Must provide proof of insurance coverage
- Must be able to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
PATH will require all employees to be fully vaccinated
for COVID-19. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination as part of the pre-employment credentialing process.
The employee may be in contact with individuals and families in crisis who may be ill, using alcohol and drugs, and who may not be attentive to basic personal hygiene, health and safety practices. The employee may experience a number of unpleasant sensory demands associated with the client’s use of alcohol and drugs, and lack of personal hygiene. The employee must be ready to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis situations and potentially hostile situations. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate in an office setting. Sometimes work may become stressful when working under pressure.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, stoop, talk, hear, reach above and below shoulders; use hand and finger dexterity, keyboarding and making and receiving telephone calls. The employee may be required on occasion to lift and or carry up to 20 lbs.
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How to apply:
PATH is proud to offer its eligible employees with great benefits. Click here to read about what we provide.
Please visit the Path Career Site
to apply online. Search for Job #1480
to submit your application. A resume is required.