JOB ID: 1096
The Cook will prepare and cook family-style meals for residents of a homeless service facilities in Los Angeles and maintain the sanitation and cleanliness of the kitchen. The cook must abide by all health and safety regulations and have a current food handler’s certificate.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Prepare and cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for residents
- Prepare weekly and monthly menus
- Comply with standard food handling and sanitation procedures
- Adhere to proper knife handling procedures
- Maintain kitchen sanitation and cleanliness, including washing dishes and maintaining the cleanliness of all kitchen equipment (stove, storage area, freezer, floors, etc.)
- Submit food order for approval on the date designated by the supervisor
- Ensure all food is properly stored and cooked to the correct temperatures.
- Must attend and participate in monthly or weekly staff meetings and special events as scheduled
- Produce and maintain monthly inventory of food supply and equipment
- Supervise all kitchen activities ensuring that only authorized personnel access the kitchen
- Other duties as assigned
- Possess a High School Diploma or equivalent. Culinary Arts degree a plus.
- 2-4 years’ experience working in food handling and preparation
- Intensive knowledge of kitchen equipment small and large scale and food and kitchen safety guidelines
- Project a professional demeanor, interpersonal skills and ability to work both individually and as part of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Capability to work in a fast paced, professional environment
- Ability to interact with diverse clientele.
- Maintain regular attendance
- Employment eligibility verification
- Current tuberculosis test
- Food handling Certificate
- Successful completion of background screening
- CPR/First Aid Certification
- Driving is an essential function of this position
- Must have Valid CA Driver's License
- Must provide proof of insurance coverage
- Must be able to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
The employee may be in contact with individuals and families in crisis who may be ill, using alcohol and drugs, and who may not be attentive to basic personal hygiene, health and safety practices. The employee may experience a number of unpleasant sensory demands associated with the client’s use of alcohol and drugs, and lack of personal hygiene. The employee must be ready to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis situations and potentially hostile situations. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate in an office setting. Sometimes work may become stressful when working under pressure.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, stoop, talk, hear, reach above and below shoulders; use hand and finger dexterity, keyboarding and making and receiving telephone calls. The employee may be required on occasion to lift and or carry up to 20 lbs.
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How to apply:
Please visit the Path Career Site
to apply online. Search for Job #1096
to submit your application. A resume is required.