JOB ID: 1150
The Deputy CFO (DCFO) supports the CFO in running the finance department for PATH and related company PATH Ventures (PV). This is a hands-on leadership position that oversees the day to day operations of the finance department, and works with the CFO on strategic planning, budgeting, financial analysis, and reporting. In addition, this position oversees all accounting and internal financial reporting for PATH Ventures.
The ideal candidate must have strong demonstrated leadership abilities, a solid nonprofit finance background with preference in homeless services, relevant experience in affordable housing development and partnership accounting, and the ability to thrive in a fast paced rapid growth environment.
PATH is a $50M+ non-profit provider of shelter and supportive services for the homeless with locations throughout Southern California, Santa Barbara, and San Jose, primarily serving veterans, families, and the chronically homeless. Funding comes from government agencies, foundations, and individuals, and we currently have over 100 grants from over 30 funders. PATH Ventures (PV) is a non-profit developer of permanent supportive housing with projects located throughout Southern California. PV possesses an ownership interest via limited partnerships in over a dozen residential communities plus several projects in active predevelopment.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Provide strong professional and managerial leadership for the finance department and for the PATH and PATH Ventures organizations
- Ensure that the PATH finance department runs smoothly, including:
- day to day operations (with the finance leadership team)
- staff management, including performance management
- project management for various efforts to improve department efficiency and effectiveness
- Oversee all accounting, internal financial reporting, and audit/tax preparation for PATH Ventures, using Quickbooks Online, and coordinate any required financial activities with the PV LPs.
- Oversee the Accounts Payable and Procurement functions, including streamlining processes and implementing automation.
- Oversee the Financial Assistance Coordination function.
- Assist the CFO in preparing corporate and program budgets, strategic and risk analyses, and monthly reports.
- Directly supervise the managers of Procurement, Accounts Payable, and Financial Assistance Coordination as well as coordinate the activities of the PV Financial Consultant.
- Supervise, develop, and train finance staff
- Other accounting and finance related tasks as requested
- Demonstrated leadership in a financial position in a nonprofit organization
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related field; higher level degree and/or professional certifications preferred
- A minimum of ten years of experience in non-profit finance/accounting
- Experience with Quickbooks Online preferred
- Experience with MIP accounting software preferred
- Ability to interact with diverse clientele and to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels
- Demonstrated high level critical and strategic thinking
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work both individually and as part of a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office especially Excel advanced functions
- Thorough and detail-oriented
- Ability to work effectively on multiple projects simultaneously in a high-pressure and time sensitive environment
- Must maintain and execute confidential information
- Maintain regular attendance
- Employment eligibility verification
- Reliable transportation
- Tuberculosis test
- Successful completion of background screening & drug test
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Driving is an essential function of this position
- Must have Valid CA Driver's License
- Must provide proof of insurance coverage
- Must be able to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
The employee may be in contact with individuals and families in crisis who may be ill, using alcohol and drugs, and who may not be attentive to basic personal hygiene, health and safety practices. The employee may experience a number of unpleasant sensory demands associated with the client’s use of alcohol and drugs, and lack of personal hygiene. The employee must be ready to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis situations and potentially hostile situations. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate in an office setting. Sometimes work may become stressful when working under pressure.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, stoop, talk, hear, reach above and below shoulders; use hand and finger dexterity, keyboarding and making and receiving telephone calls. The employee may be required on occasion to lift and or carry up to 20 lbs.
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How to apply:
Please visit the Path Career Site
to apply online. Search for Job #1150
to submit your application. A resume is required.