JOB ID: 1041
Salary: $50,000 - $60,000 (DOE)
Under the direction of the assigned supervisor, the Benefits Specialist will take responsibility for the benefits function. Employees in this classification will be assigned tasks of intermediate to advanced difficulty and will deal with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels. Limited supervision is received from a professional supervisor for accuracy of content and conformance with departmental and organization policies and procedures.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the position.
- Administer various employee benefits programs such as group health, flexible spending, dental, vision, 403b, accident, life, critical illness and voluntary benefits for both PATH and PATH Ventures.
- Conduct benefits orientation for new employees and explain self-enrollment system.
- Develops benefits procedures.
- Prepares and develops communication and educational materials for insured employees.
- Assist current employees and responds to inquiries regarding plan provisions, benefits enrollment and other insurance issues.
- Processes life event changes.
- Act as the liaison with the insurance providers and respond to requests for information/discrepancy reports as needed.
- Troubleshoot issues with weekly benefits feed, when needed.
- Monthly statement reconciliation.
- Process monthly statements and prepare for payment.
- In coordination with HR Administration Manager, assist in premium collections for employees on leave of absence.
- Process and enter all 403b enrollments, deferral changes and loans in HRIS system.
- Monitor COBRA new hire and qualifying event notices.
- Assist former employees with 403b distribution questions.
- Maintain benefits information for all employees while ensuring both accuracy and confidentiality.
- Create and provide benefits reports as needed.
- Assist in organizing and overseeing company wellness events.
- Process and approve all new hire enrollments and life events.
- Oversee annual Open Enrollment.
- Oversee annual Flex Plan enrollment.
- Assist HR Associate Director with benefit-related projects when needed.
- Provide timely responses and exceptional customer service to both current and former employees.
- Oversee COBRA Administration and annual required notices to employees.
- Assist with grant audits, as needed.
- Assist with departmental projects, as needed.
- Perform related duties, as required.
Associate's Degree or equivalent and 5 years of benefits experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience beyond a high school diploma.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Some knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of human resources and benefits administration.
- Some knowledge of statistical and other research methods and procedures.
- Experience with benefits administration systems.
- Ability to effectively handle several assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to express oneself effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in analyzing facts and arriving at conclusions.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain complex records in an organized manner and prepare reports from such records.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, the public, and representatives of other agencies, often under complex and stressful situations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field
- HR or benefits certification
- Customer Service experience
- Employment eligibility verification
- Tuberculosis test
- Successful completion of background screening & drug test
- Able to obtain First Aid/CPR certification, as provided by PATH
- Driving is an essential function of this position
- Must have Valid CA Driver's License
- Must provide proof of insurance coverage
- Must be able to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
The employee may be in contact with individuals and families in crisis who may be ill, using alcohol and drugs, and who may not be attentive to basic personal hygiene, health and safety practices. The employee may experience a number of unpleasant sensory demands associated with the client’s use of alcohol and drugs, and lack of personal hygiene. The employee must be ready to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis situations and potentially hostile situations. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate in an office setting. Sometimes work may become stressful when working under pressure.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, stoop, talk, hear, reach above and below shoulders; use hand and finger dexterity, keyboarding and making and receiving telephone calls. The employee may be required on occasion to lift and or carry up to 20 lbs.
PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How to apply:
Please visit the Path Career Site
to apply online. Search for Job #1041
to submit your application. A resume is required.